Thursday, June 30, 2011

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

Day 15.  I received my 2nd treatment today!
Two down, baby!
Awesome =)
So, the past few days I felt really really good!  Receiving the treatment at AGH is such a piece of cake and all of the staff at the Cancer Center and the hospital are really great.  Went in at 9:45 today with my mom.  There were a couple of DOC patients there.  Each had 2 guards with them and ankle chains and whatnot...but I digress.  Received my anti-nausea trio of meds and then the ABVD quartet played on for a few hours.
Afterward, my mom and I went to go visit Hair Enhancements in Dormont.  Excellent selection of wigs here, and in lots of colors and styles to try on and great selection of caps and scarves..  So...fashion show...which one will she pick?!?
Wig#1

W#2

W#3

W#4

W#5

W#6






















W#7

W#8

W#9




















Hmmm...well...it'll be a surprise in a few days, so stay tuned!  Wig 6 is from Sean's Signature Salon
 in Sewickley, PA.  There were not a lot of actual samples in the shop, or at least that I saw (3 or 4?)?  Maybe he had others in the back but they weren't styles that I said I wanted to look at.  Anyway, whatever he brought me out was certainly good enough for me to get a good idea of what I wanted, and he explained about the different styles of caps and hair tying and synthetic vs. human hair, etc.  All of the ones I tried on were synthetic...trust me, it's nothing like the wigs they sell at Halloween stores.  W#'s  7-9 were tried on at Creative Hair Solution in Allison Park, PA.  They had very good selection to try on in the store as well.  Excellent staff at all locations!

Some Wig related links:
The American Cancer Society-wig donation, hair donation, and other programs
Hair Peace Charities- raises money to help women buy wigs while undergoing chemotherapy treatment.

And a quick shout out to Gilda's Club, in the Strip District, a cancer support center, for patients and family.  Seems like a very good place, I took a tour and may take advantage of their yoga classes, among many other great programs.

So, with that being said...yep, it's gonna be coming soon.  Day 13, 14....hair started coming out when I ran my fingers through every time.  Day 15...the shedding has begun.  It's everywhere.  But I have a plan.  I recommend all check back after their safe, awesome 4th of July weekends.
In the spirit of hair, peace, freedom and equality for all, for your listening pleasure:
Many Healthy Returns,
Emily

6 comments:

  1. If you're taking votes, I vote either 2 or 7. They seem pretty similar but that hair style is super cute on you. :) I'm glad you're doing well!! Love you sister! *Amy*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geeze, seriously, they all look good-you look adorable in #4 as well as 2 & 7. Thank you for the inspiration! You are an amazing person, and I love you!!! Zach just got done from his run, and thought about about you the whole time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still vote # 8, and not just b/c I was there :) but the picture doesn't do it justice...either way, all of them are super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emily. You look great in #2. I'm pulling for you :) . - Mike B.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Emily - I vote for #2 & #8. If PatyG34 says it looks good, that's good enough for me. Love you & pray for you everyday!!! When you get better let's go pick blueberries & asperagus!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily, you look great, no matter what wig you choose! (For the record, I like #2, 5, and 7. Almost as nice as your own hair.) Thanks for the Hair soundtrack!!! Made me smile. Love, yr cousin Suzanne

    ReplyDelete