Friday, July 8, 2011

Hair Shaving and Chemo Treatment #2

A bit delayed on this post, my apologies.  By now, many have seen the new 'do so without further ado...
It was a family affair, the shaving of the hair.

The stylist prepares her first cut.

Gosh, I sure am happy about this whole thing!

Taking down the right side first...

Then the left.

Then, a little clean up in the back.

Flock of Seagulls, flying backwards.

Time to put the hair UP!


Dig it, right?


We do, too.











Really, if you have to lose your hair, and can have some say over when and how...have fun with it.  Have fun with this whole stinking process.  I was so happy and grateful to be with my family during this time.  We had a blast.  I rocked out the mohawk for the 4th of July picnic.  Really, a good look for me, I think.  But, it's really more of a day look...like...a one day look.  Anyway at the end of the party, it was time for the rest to go.  ::Sadface::
Ready.  Set.



Go!

Going...

Going...          















GONE!



Yes, it is a sad, disturbing process when your hair starts to come out.  It is okay to acknowledge this.  Acknowledge all of it.  Face that cancer and say,' Yeah, I'm taking you down'.  But those sad and scared moments are real too.  And there's nothing wrong with those.  I choose not dwell on those and just aim to be happy and well each day.  It's working quite well.   I only had smiles and laughs on the day my head was shaved.  I was ready.  It was on my terms.  And I had great people all around me.

So, I am fully embracing Bald is Beautiful:
Ooh, and you can see my port, on the left side of my chest.


But, for those of you guessing on the wig...

Ta-DA! #6
I went with Sean's Signature Salon in Sewickely for the convenience to my location, and the service I received from them was certainly top notch.  I have this ordered in a different color, but they were kind enough to give me the one in the shop on loan until I could get mine on the 12th.  It doesn't usually take that long, but Sean was out of the salon this past week. It is pretty comfortable for the most part, but I do get a headache if I wear it all day at work.



So as you might be able to tell, I have been feeling pretty darn good.  The side effects from the 2nd treatment were MUCH more manageable. Still got tired very easily the first 3-4 days following treatment.  Had a bit of thrush in the mouth, so continuing to take some anti-fungal meds.  Fun.  I did see something online for a diet to follow to mitigate the occurrence of thrush.  Looked pretty bland.  And no fruit or dairy, which is probably what caused me to have it in the first place.  Fruit was the one food I was craving the first few days following the treatment.  I'll try to stave that off for the next treatment and see if that helps.  Bone pain was just an ache this time.  Annoying and twitchy feeling, but not even bad enough for me to take any ibuprofen.
Day 7,  blood work looks good...my white blood cell (WBC) was up from 4 to 6.7.  Hemoglobin= 11.4, Platelets, 256.Great website for understanding blood work.
Met with Dr. Raj and went over the side effects I was experiencing and he thinks that with the improvement in my breathing and strength of voice that the chemo is working well and we are on the right track.  I will have a follow up PET-scan after the 2nd cycle ( 2 more treatments) to see what the masses look like then and determine the further course of treatment.

So, all in all, doing very well.  I'll check back in in the next few days.  Thanks for all the great comments, too!  They always brighten up my day.

Stay classy,

 E

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're doing well sister! You can totally rock the baldness, those cheekbones are to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the bald look! you have such a beautiful face that you don't notice the missing hair. i'm glad you are still doing well with lots of smiles. it helps. stay strong sister. love you!

    *Amy*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't stop marvelling at your amazingly great attitude--wonderful! And while the wig is nice, I honestly think you look so good bald that you should just go with it! In your case, bald really IS beautiful. Great news about the bloodwork--you're doing brilliantly, Em. Keep up the good work, and keep the posts coming. Love you, Suzanne

    ReplyDelete